You know what they say….when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me! (Bad joke? Oh well!)
I was in the mood for a little blog, but my dilemma was that I really have nothing to write about right now. So, I did what any normal person would do in this situation–I googled. (I now have a nice long list of blog prompts written down for future moments when I’m motivated without inspiration.)
One prompt that kind of stuck with me (partly because it was highlighted on the page, partly because I liked the idea of it) was “Write about the assumptions people make about you.” (I linked to the inspo website I found.)
You would assume that I don’t have many assumptions made about me. I am an upper-middle class, blonde, white female. Fairly standard, I agree. I don’t have obvious race related things assumed about me, and I am in no way trying to demean those assumptions, I just want to talk about the irritating assumptions I have noticed that people have made about me.
The first thing that came to my head when I think about assumptions made about me is “dumb blonde”. If you’re blonde, at least once in your life, someone has made a joke about you being a dumb blonde. I can’t be the only one who hates this. My hair color has no relation to my IQ. Never has, never will. I am smart, clever, quick-witted, and everything opposite of being a “dumb blonde.” Stop insulting people’s intelligence by basing your assumptions of them on their hair color. It’s stupid.
Another thing, you can absolutely be pretty AND smart. It’s a thing. Just because you care about your appearance and you put time into how you look, does not make you less intelligent. (It should make you look more intelligent honestly, because everyone knows appearances matter.) This kind of ties into the “blonde” thing, but it’s so true. Again, I’m sick of not being taken seriously based on how I look. It’s so frustrating.
Now, for the sake of not ranting throughout the entirety of this blog, I’m going to convert to list form!! (I could honestly write a 3,000 word blog about this topic, for real!)
Things people assume about me:
- That, because I’m middle class, I don’t struggle with money/finances. Wrong.
- That, because I’m thin, I don’t eat. Wrong.
- That, because I’m thin, I don’t work out and am not strong. Wrong.
- That I live this “perfect life” based on what’s seen on social media. Wrong.
- That, because I care about how I look, I’m shallow (or something). Wrong.
- That, because I have and express feelings, I am weak. Wrong.
- That, because I’m a woman, I am not as good at something. Wrong.
- That, because I sometimes show off my body, I’m a slut. Wrong.
- That, because my hair is an odd color (i.e. pink), I don’t deserve as much respect. Wrong.
- That, because I’m young, I’m naïve and easily manipulated.
- That, because I’m blonde, I am ditzy. (Had to say it again.) Wrong.
- That, because I dress and look nice, I’m weak and can’t handle myself. Wrong. If I tell you I know how to play a sport, don’t laugh and try to explain to me that “it hurts when you get hit”. I know. I’ve played it.
- That, because you’re a male, you know more than me. (See above.) Wrong.
- That, because I’m being nice to you, I’m flirting. Wrong.
- That, because you made assumptions, you think you know me. Wrong.
I’m sure some of you can relate to these assumptions being made about you, as well as plenty others that I’m sure have been made. It’s frustrating.
Hopefully this was even remotely interesting? LOL. Thanks for reading!
xx – A